One glass of this every morning will help with your digestion.
2 large organic fresh beetroots, diced(do not grate*)
¼ cup of whey ( I used clear liquid from almond yogurt)
2 tbsp celtic sea salt
Filtered water, 2 quarts
1tbsp grated ginger(optional)
Place all the ingredients in a glass jar and stir well, cover, leave it on the counter at room temperature for 1-2 days. I am giving you the approximate time, depending on the temperature,Once it is done store in the refrigerator.some people reuse these beet pieces for second time and the resulting brew will be slightly less strong than the first. After the second brew, discard the beets and start again. Reserve some of the liquid and use this as your inoculant instead of the whey for the next batch. I don’t like to reuse the beet pieces for second time, I just use them once and discard.
You can just keep the beets in the bottle when you store the drink in fridge and strain the beet pieces when you pour in the glass. These beet pieces are pretty much tasteless as bacteria uses up most of the nutrients. I trash them in my compost. When it is ready beet kvass should taste a little sour, little sweet, little salty and fizzy.
• You can save some of this drink and use this as starter for the next batch.
• If you don’t like the salty taste, you can cut back on the salt and use more of the previous drink as culture for next batch.
• In winter I usually leave it in oven.(I preheat the oven to 150ºF and turn it off once I place the drink). Because oven is insulated, it prevents heat from escaping
Use this in salad dressings in place of vinegar.
Can add this to soups
* -Don’t grate beets into small size pieces; they should be cut to medium size pieces 2-3” pieces, as cutting into smaller pieces will give more sugar and result in over-fermentation of the drink and it might even develop mold if it is over-fermented. When grated, or cutting beets into small pieces, beets exude too much juice resulting in a too rapid fermentation that favors the production of alcohol rather than lactic acid.
-You don’t have to add whey in this recipe. An extra tsp of celtic salt is good if you don’t add whey. More salt will inhibit undesirable microorganisms.
-I don’t recommend store bought whey powder as this is often dried at high temperatures. This process makes whey protein toxic.
* In the winter you need to keep it out for one more day. If you want it more fizzy, add one more beetroot.
* This can stay in fridge for up to 6 months. The longer you leave in fridge the better it taste.