I created this chutney to make best use of cruciferous vegetables like Broccoli. Make this chutney for a change instead of routine coconut or peanut chutney for Idly and Dosa. This chutney goes well with sandwiches too.
- Broccoli, cut into florets, 1 cup
- Onion, ½ medium size, diced
- Coriander(cilantro), 1 bunch, use only leaves and tender stems
- Dry coconut powder, 2 tbsp.
- Tamarind, small piece to give 1 tbsp. of thick paste
- Ginger, 1 small piece, chopped
- Red chillies, 4 add more if you want it extra spicy
- Mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, urad dal for seasoning
- Soak tamarind in warm water for about ten minutes, remove seeds, if any.
- Heat one tbsp. of oil in a pan, lightly fry urad dal, ginger and red chillies. Now add broccoli and onions, sauté for another 5 minutes. Add coriander and sauté just for one more minute.
- Transfer this to a plate and let it cool down.
- Blend broccoli mixture with tamarind and coconut powder.
- In the same pan for seasoning add one more tbsp. of oil and add little bit of mustard seeds, after they splutter add asafoetida and urad dal and few curry leaves.
- Add seasoning to the broccoli chutney. Seasoning is optional. Any chutney will taste good even without seasoning.
- This chutney is versatile. You can use it for Idlis and Dosas.
- Use it in wraps to spice them up. Make Roti-broccoli wraps.
- Use it in sandwiches
- Have it with steamed rice
- You can also make green rice with this chutney.