Make this nutrient-rich, colorful chutney for a change instead of routine coconut or peanut chutney for Idly and Dosa. This chutney goes well with sandwiches too.
- Carrots, peeled and diced, 1 cup
- Onion, ½ medium size, diced
- Dry coconut powder, 2 tbsp. optional
- Tamarind, small piece, to give 1 tbsp. of thick paste
- Ginger, 1 small piece, chopped
- Sesame seeds, 2tbsp
- Red chillies, 4 add more if you want it extra spicy
- Mustard seeds, Asafoetida, Curry leaves, Urad dal for seasoning
- Soak tamarind in warm water for about ten minutes, remove seeds, if any.
- Heat one tbsp. of oil in a pan, lightly fry Urad dal, ginger, sesame seeds and red chillies.
- Now add carrots and onions. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer this to a plate and let it cool down.
- Blend carrot sauté mixture with tamarind and coconut powder in a high-speed blender.
- In the same pan, for seasoning add one more tbsp. of oil and add little bit of mustard seeds
- After they splutter add asafoetida and Urad dal and few curry leaves.
- Add seasoning to the carrot chutney. Seasoning is optional. Any chutney will taste good even without seasoning.
This chutney is versatile. You can use it for Idlies and Dosas; Use it in sandwiches; Have it with steamed rice; Use it in wraps to spice them up. Make Roti-Carrot Wraps. You can also make carrot rice with this chutney.
Click here to know more about various ingredients.