I have tried this drumstick dish at a friend’s house recently and loved it. I used to make similar dish with eggplant, and was surprised to see that it tasted even better with drumsticks.
- 2 or 3 tender drumsticks cut into thumb size pieces
- 2 cups of raw unripe mango slices(This is a vital ingredient to this dish. The only place I can find these mangos is Indian store, don’t use if pulp inside turns even to light yellow color which makes the curry taste sweet, pulp should look white in color)
- 1 medium onion,diced
- 1 medium size tomato,diced
- 5 curry leaves(optional)
- 1 tsp of chilly powder
- half to 1 tsp of salt
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and saute diced onion
- Once it is golden brown add tomatoes, drumsticks and raw mango slices(lightly peel mango with fine peeler)
- Add salt and chilly powder to your liking.
- Let it cook covered on a low to medium flame for almost 30 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and have it hot with steamed rice.
- This recipe tastes even more delicious when you cook it in stone pot.
- When you make it in stone pot, add half cup water and cover it on low flame for 40 minutes.
Even though it sounds like a simple recipe, it really matters how you cook this. You have to add as little water as possible, and cook covered on low flame for long time. Balancing water quantity is important here, If you add too much water it will get mushy and tastes different, if you add less water drumsticks are not cooked properly.