Methi Flax Masala Roti (Fenugreek Flat Bread)
Adding fenugreek greens to your diet not only helps you add greens, also helps you add calcium, phosphorus and iron at the same time. Add these greens to your dishes or give a twist to your flat breads or a different taste to your curries.
Fenugreek greens are versatile to use and have a bitter taste that complements Indian curries and goes well with dips and pickles as well. To make methi/fenugreek greens flat bread follow the simple step by step recipe and enjoy with your family and friends.
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour, unbleached
- Flax powder, 2tbsp
- Methi leaves, 1 cup wash with little salt and cut into small pieces
- Turmeric (optional), ½ tsp
- Chilly powder, 1 tsp
- Coriander powder(optional), 1 tbsp
- Garam masala, ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds(jeera)[optional], 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp
1. Take all the ingredients and mix them with water. (Do not add hot water and do not saute the leaves, this will make them soggy and rotis will come out hard.)
2. Mix it well to make a ball. You can store it in fridge if you are not going to use it all at a time.
3. The dough should not stick to your hand, if it sticks, you have added more water; and if it crumbles up, it needs more liquid.
4. Knead for 5 minutes to form soft, pliable balls.
5. Make little lime size balls and knead into thin round shapes.
6. Apply oil on the top before you cover and store it.
Rolling out Chapatis:
· Knead and roll out the dough into a cylindrical long roll on a wooden board. I prefer professional silicone baking sheet to roll rotis.
· Take small lime sized portions, and shape them into balls.
· Sprinkle some flour on clean board. Using a rolling pin, press/roll out the dough into a big thin round.
· To get layers, fold the rolled out round twice.
· Heat a cast-iron griddle on high flame, when it is hot, place the roti and fry it on each side until it turns golden in color.
· Sprinkle few drops of oil on roti while frying. You should fry them only on high flame, to get soft rotis.
· Fold the rotis/flatbread and store them in an insulated container.