Take advantage of zucchini season. This is an excellent way to use up your garden overload of zucchini or bottle gourd. These muffins are eggless, low sugar, high fiber muffins and freeze well for easy breakfast. This is an excellent recipe for veggie-hating kids.
Here is how they came out of the oven fresh, healthy and not just for the kids of course!
All-purpose flour ¾ cup
Wheat flour ¾ cup
Flaxseed, ground 4tsp
Water ¾ cup
Milk ¼ cup
Butter ½ cup
Banana, ripe mashed ½ cup
Vanilla extract 1tsp
Unpeeled Zucchini or peeled bottle gourd, grated 1½ cup
Walnuts ¾ cup
Baking soda ½tsp
Baking powder ½ tsp
1. Combine flax powder and water, keep it aside for ten minutes.
2. In a bowl mix all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and keep aside.
3. Heat oven at 350º F
4. Prepare muffin cups with liner or cooking spray
5. Combine flax water, milk, butter, banana, vanilla extract, sugar.
6. Add flours to this mixture and fold in bottle gourd, and walnuts. Do not use the mixer as this will make muffins hard.
7. Scoop batter into the muffin cups 3/4th or almost to the top is also fine
8. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Serve them hot with little smear of salted butter.
Tips: May add raisins, chocolate chips or dried currants.
To make this recipe gluten-free, you can replace all-purpose floor and wheat flour with 1 cup of almond butter.